Tuesday 8 November 2011

feeling dotty

 I have six more pieces left to stitch on my flowering snowball.
So I'm trying out the idea I've had floating about my design studio*
*aka. my head
 What do you think?
I am thinking of appliqueing the quilt top to the border,
and then cutting away the excess fabric.
Anyone done this before?
I like the continuous pattern of the dots,
so I don't really want to cut it about much.
Obviously the batting will be of a light colour 
so the white will pop and make the grey fabrics stand out.
I am also thinking of using yellow for the inserts,
and possibly for the binding...
...but that could change!!

10 comments:

Mary said...

OMG!!!! I love this! It is the perfect choice! I like the dots with the roundness of the flowering snowball - you are so incredibly clever :) I have appliqued and then cut away. It works nicely. It is a big piece to hold so you might want to lay it on the table and applique there. This will be amazing!

Susan said...

I love it too! I have also done the applique and cut away but on a smaller piece than this! Some yellow would look stunning!

Nicky said...

Great going Clare! If Mary says it can be done I'd go ahead! Love the contrast

Catherine said...

wow, this looks amazing

Michelle said...

I like the dots too.
Very nice.....

Serenata said...

I'm really intrigued by this, it is coming together so well and I love your thought processes! ;-)

Diane said...

Really inaginative. I like it. xxxx

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Well .... no, I've never done it before and probably never will, but it looks completely wonderful as usual and can't wait to see more of it.

Jessica said...

amazing! i love the dots. sorry, I don't have any advice for the applique. I had a friend try the same, but in the end she didn't cut away the extra. The colors were different and it turned out ok. I'm sure your quilt will be awesome however you border it. I'm loving the idea of yellow inserts as well~

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! This is very beautiful and interesting! Thank you for inspiration! x Teje